Monday, July 21, 2014

Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge Blog - Challenge #12

Hello, Blogger Buddies! It is time for another challenge at the Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge Blog

Challenge #12 posts today!  Remember, you have two weeks to play in the new challenge, which closes August 3rd at midnight PT.

Challenge #12 Who's the Boss?
Show some embossing on your project. You can use dry embossing or heat embossing. You can use an embossing folder or a stencil. You can emboss with embossing paste or embossing powder. You can even create something with ultra-thick embossing enamel. You probably have some sort of embossing apparatus in your hoard! Pull these embossing tools out and put them to use!

The sponsors this month are Crafter's Companion and Spectrum Noir! I used my cute little stamp and alcohol markers for the last challenge, so I am using the embossing folder that they sent to me this time! 



I received the Lattice embossing folder from Crafter's Companion. I love the pattern, and I also love that the folder is 6 x 6 inches, and it has a hole in the top for "continuous embossing"! My card is 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches. Since I own the WRMK envelope punch board, I can make my cards odd-ball sizes if I want! {wink}

I wanted to try a new technique so I went searching for some tutorials and stumbled upon this one from Jennifer McGuire. I took her idea, and ran with it. I did what I guess is called "double embossing." I rubbed some distress ink over the entire folder, making sure to ink the raised "cross hatch" part of the pattern. I used 3-4 colors. I sprayed the ink with water and embossed textured white cardstock normally. The ink transferred to the debossed areas of the lattice lines.



Once the ink was dry-ish, I rubbed more ink over the raised "squares" of the pattern and spritzed the ink with water. I allowed the ink to dry. I wanted a better depth of color, so I went back over the paper, spraying with a few pale mists. It is hard to see in the photo, but the paper has a wonderful shimmer. I let the paper dry over night. I used WorldWin Papers ColorMates Textured Twill White. It took all of that wet stuff perfectly, without warping!


The flowers are made from my "mess ups"! I made a few different sheets of the embossed paper, using different ink colors, different ink techniques, etc. I came out with a bunch of "water colored" and embossed papers. I just cut them up with die templates and made rolled flowers!


The pale brown branches were cut from a sheet where I used distress PAINTS rather than ink. I dabbed various paints onto the folder, and then sprayed them with water and embossed the paper. It came out a sort of metallic water color! 

The black frame is a Spellbinders die, which I cut and embossed with my die machine. I used a square die to cut out the center, making a frame!


I used watermark ink and teal embossing powder to emboss the sentiment. The sentiment is from the Birthday Word Art set that I released with Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps!


I hope you get a chance to play with  your embossing toys! Dig into that hoard and see what you have to play with! Thanks for visiting!

Challenge Rules are HERE. Make sure you LINK your project up using the Link Tool on the Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge Blog. PLEASE DO NOT LINK YOUR PROJECT HERE TO MY SCRAPS OF LIFE BLOG!

Make sure you visit the Craft Hoarders Anonymous Design Team and check out what they have to share! 

Amber Milone

Christy Butters - on a break
Debbie Seyer
Donna Idlet
Ginny Nemchak
Glenda Brooks
Gloria Stengel - YOU ARE HERE
Jan Marie Ennenga
Karen Zueger
Pam Bray
Tammi Bennett


One talented participant will receive this prize, donated by Crafter's Companion and Spectrum Noir! Yes! You get two alcohol marker sets, one large embossing folder, one coordinating stamp set, and a packet of cardstock for stamping and coloring!



Crafter’s Companion US brings you the products to make crafting a little bit easier, including the Spectrum Noir coloring system, the Ultimate Pro, and more! Crafter’s Companion produces a full range of tools to create cards and other paper craft projects. Their mission is to make their innovative, award-winning tools accessible to crafters around the world at fantastic prices.

Website: http://www.crafterscompanion.com/
Blog: http://crafterscompanion.blogspot.com/

Spectrum Noir is the revolutionary coloring system brought to you by Crafter's Companion. The range combines affordability with versatility across a vast color spectrum, deigned specifically for the crafting market. Spectrum Noir wishes to make both alcohol marker and pencil coloring achievable for colorists at all levels of confidence and ability. 

Website: http://www.spectrumnoir.com/
Blog: http://www.spectrumnoir.com/blog/


Embossing Folder: Crafter's Companion Die'sire Embossalicious Lattice
Cardstock: WorldWin Papers ColorMates Textures Twill White, Treasures Black
Stamps: Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps/Gloria Stengel Designs Birthday Word Art; Stampin' Up (for you)
Ribbon: Really Reasonable Ribbon Yellow Plaid
Ink: Ranger Distress Tumbled Glass, Mustard Seed, Squeezed Lemonade, Peacock Feathers; Clearsnap Top Boss Watermark; Memento Tuxedo Black
Spray mists: Lindy's Stamp Gang Frostbitten Fuchsia, Don't Eat Golden Snow, Twinkling Tinsel, Cape Cod Coral, Salt Water Taffy
Paint: Ranger Distress Antique Brass, Tarnished Bronze, Brushed Pewter
Embossing powder: Hampton Art
Flowers: Wild Orchid Crafts
Die cut templates: Spellbinders Fleur De Lis Squares, Bitty Blossoms, Foliage, Rose Creations, Carnation Creations, Cherry Blossoms; Couture Creations Nesting Squares ; My Favorite Things Fishtail Flags
Punch: Stampin' Up
Adhesive: Scotch 3M ATG tape; Aleene's Fast Grab Tacky Glue; Beacon Fabri-tac

15 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card! I love the embossing technique you used and the way the flowers match the background is perfect! ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having had the privilege of seeing this card IRL, I have to say the photos don't do it justice. The depth of colors is AMAZING and the black frame anchors it all beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally stunning!!! I love your technique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another beautiful creation, Gloria. Love your "mistake" flowers. LOL Everything is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You definitely are strutin your stuff! You have achieved such beautiful colors on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gloria, I love that you embossed the flowers too... so much fun on one card... very pretty colors too... love the entire card... also love that frame... use it often... a favorite of mine for sure... love it ALL! Love, Light and peace..Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning card! I really like the colors and a great job with this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous background. I came over from the Crafter Hoarders Annon blog to tell you that I am going to Pin this card. I love the idea of cutting out the center of the frame to let that background show through and yet still get the framed feel. I'm definitely going to give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is amazing!! From that stunning background, to the empty die cut frame to those fantastic flowers and gingham bow. . .what really puts it over the top is the why you've blended the contrasting colors! You are definitely DA BOSS!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This card is absolutely drool worthy. You make me envious when it comes to card creations. Mine never look like this. So love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You amaze me Gloria~~your techniques and the incredible colors that you achieve are just amazing~~like you!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your flowers are "mistakes"? Yeah, okay. I'll take your mistakes any day. Love you gorgeous card. Great technique & colors!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a gorgeous card! I love the colors you combined, love this technique and love the roses you made from your "duds." Way to make lemonade out of lemons! LOL Everything about this card is elegant! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This card is stunning! I love the color variations and the layers...gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh, what gorgeous inky colours over the embossed texture - this is just lovely. And the bold dark frame really anchors the whole flower arrangement - so clever.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete